Thursday, January 8, 2009

Icelandic lessons

I recorded 10 short "Icelandic lessons" during my time in Iceland this past week. Unfortunately, I couldn't upload them then, so I'll be doing them 2 or 3 at a time over the next few days.

The first two videos were shot on my first morning in Iceland. I was there to visit my friend and former roommate, Kristveig Bjornsdottir (a.k.a "Kris) for a week and take in the sights, sounds, smells, etc. of Reykjavik. My plane touched down at 6:30am GMT, 1:30am EST. At the point this was shot, it was about 4:30am EST and I had not slept. That is why I look like hell on a cracker. Well, it's one reason, anyway...

I thought the most functional phrase I could start with was "How do you say...?", since I would need to be using that frequently. Unfortunately, it is by no means a simple phrase. I have no idea what Kris' Mom said in response.


We had just had a wonderful breakfast --fruit, cheese, and bread and pastries that we had bought fresh from a REAL BAKERY on the way home. I was really grateful to Kris' Mom for getting this together for me, and wanted to know how to say that. Unfortunately, this completely failed to stick in my memory, despite the many opportunities I had to thank her for her fantastic cooking and hospitality.



New Year's Eve dinner was a Danish ham along with a bunch of fantastic side dishes. It was really, really, REALLY good, as was absolutely everything else Kris' Mom cooked while I was there. Kris' Grandma joined us for dinner, and as is typical for folks of her generation, didn't speak any English. It was an interesting dynamic... she and I communicated by facial expressions and through Kris.

No comments: