Saturday, October 31, 2009

A poem for Halloween...

(If you've come here from another theoblogger site, I intend to post my first theoblogger response to Cox's book tomorrow. My apologies for the lateness...)

(tree image is from here)
I just finished my response piece for SPARK and thought I'd post it here as 1) my Dad has informed me that I am neglecting my blog and 2) it is a good piece for Halloween since it's about death and stuff. :^)

Rooted
(a poem to the bathroom mirror)


How is it that you can hate with such passion
when somewhere the moon has risen tonight
over your burial place?

(I can hear the sound of your beloved weeping
carried over the cemetery wall
by the same breeze that cools the face of your enemy)

Don’t you know we’re all connected?

The roots of your hatred wind down deeper than you think,
like the roots in the cemetery,
down through the topsoil
winding around rocks, pieces of old metal, plastic, and bone.

Don’t you know that anger rots your bones
even as you live and breath?

Look.
There is a tree in the cemetery.
Two enemies were buried on either side.
Look how tall it’s grown,
heedless to the hatred that nourishes its roots.

(I am asking you, lady, to forgive.
I am asking you to remember how you have been forgiven.)

Here, here is an invitation
to toss away the label “enemy”,
to forget what has gone before
to move forward, free and light

as the leaves blown off the cemetery trees
floating free and spinning slowly
lightened of their clinging load.

You may not have another chance.

2 comments:

Craig said...

shine on sister.

Nick said...

Beautiful! I love it. I'll share this with a few friends.Forgiveness is such a powerful gift. I have to forgive myself often, and allow God's forgiveness to enter me. And yet, I feel remnants of anger, dissatisfaction or whatever toward others in my distant past ... some who I wish I had a deeper relationship with, some who wrote me off for various reasons, and others who are relatives who refuse to see me for who I am. I'm hoping that forgiveness can help me stop clinging life that leaf on a tree. I actually don't know how.

Warm regads.

P.S. breathe