Friday, April 8, 2011

not really a poem

This is me admitting defeat. I just don't have it today. I'm too agitated.

not really a poem

Tsunami, nuclear waste, earthquake,
Federal Government shutdown
Libyan genocide, Egyptian protests
Cote d'Ivoire civil war, Nigerian elections

Bradley Manning's being tortured
(did I just mess up my clearance?)
they're shooting protesters in Yemen
the Saudis paid theirs off

They're shutting down the Government
because they're fighting over whether to fund
reproductive services for the poor.
So while they argue that, they're taking paychecks away
from half of my city, including
my lovely DC librarian friend
who's living on a shoestring at the best of times.

I've lit four candles, poured myself a glass of wine,
and all I can think is
"how the fuck am I supposed to write this poem?"

1 comment:

Erin said...

Aww, you put me in a poem. :)

Seriously, though, I'll be okay. But six months ago I wouldn't have been, and I know people who won't be now--people with families to support and mortgages to pay.

--erin