Sunday, April 15, 2012

for Nyah


I want to be like you, little girl…
climbing up the ladder to the slide,
carefully calibrating your
2 year old sense of balance
with every step.  Sliding down
arms raised, hair flying back,
yelling “yay!!” at the bottom,
and climbing right back up again.

I want to be like you, little girl…
Going up to the taller, steep slide,
climbing up, speeding down,
bumping on the ground at the bottom
but only crying with your Mama for a minute
before you were off again
in search of something new.

I want to be like you, little girl…
I want to consider the bad things
anomalous.  I want to forget they exist.
I want my fear to be
no match for my wonder.
I want to always look
for the new thing, the next thing
without looking back, afraid.

I want to be like you, little girl…
I want to remember how to be free.

No comments: