Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Blessed

I think about illness a lot. Growing up, my Mom was sick a lot, one of those people who have always been susceptible to sickness. She had a lot of "invisible" things --chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia-- that a lot of people (including doctors) dismiss as not being "real diseases", but which are nonetheless very real to those who suffer them.  I didn't understand them when I was growing up, but now that I've suffered nearly two years with a series of symptoms that no one can diagnose, I get it.

Of course, visible illnesses are invisible, too. I don't know why we're supposed to act like everything's cool when we don't feel well, but we are.  I think that doctors and nurses are heroes for opting to spend their lives looking directly at what we are encouraged to ignore, to see the sick and suffering, to try to understand, to help.

So. This is a tanka (of course) about sickness.

Blessed

Blessed are the sick,
bodies shaking, bent, in pain.
The LORD God sees them.

When we don't want to look, He
sees them, and offers Presence.

No comments: